Extract the contents of the Germain APM Server distribution to a temporary folder, then move the tomcat8 directory to a location of your choice. Set the CATALINA_HOME environment variable to the Tomcat directory.
To install Tomcat as a Windows service, navigate to the Tomcat directory and execute the following commands:
It will create a Windows Service with a name like "Apache Tomcat #.# GermainAPMServer".
You can adjust the Java runtime properties for the service by using the following command:
For example, to have the server crash in case of running out of memory, add the following parameter:
By default, the Tomcat application server will be accessible on port 8080. To change the port, adjust the following line in CATALINA_HOME/conf/server.xml:
germainAPM provides the following authentication methods
- Database authentication
- LDAP authentication
- OAuth authentication
By default, germainAPM has database authentication enabled.
You can set your desired authentication method from within the germainAPM application(note - Tomcat server has to be restarted for changes to take effect)
Navigate to System → Authentication
DB Based Authentication
The initial user will be provided to you via email signup. You will have to follow the link and set your password.
To create additional users, navigate to System → Users within the germainAPM application
Click the plus/add button to add new users
LDAP Based System
Create a new LDAP provider from System → Authentication
- Choose LDAP Provider from the list
- Provide the following details relevant to your organization
OAuth Based System
Create a new OAuth provider from System → Authentication
- Choose OAuth Provider from the list
- Provide the following details from your OAuth provider
Note - Tomcat will need to be restarted for changes to take effect
Windows Active Directory (AD) Based System
Germain apm requires AD groups to be created as “germain_apm_admin” and “germain_apm_user” which will be used to authorize the access to dashboard and config UI.
Creating Groups in AD
- On the Windows machine where AD is installed, open “Server Manager” window
- From the Tools Menu on right top corner, select “Active Directory Users and Computers”
- In the left side menu, Drill Down your domain name
- Right Click on Users and select New -> Group
- Create a group with name “germain_apm_admin”. Clilck “Ok”
You will see a group with name germain_apm_admin is created.
Follow same steps to create group “germain_apm_user
Create Users in AD
If you want to create new users:
- From the same window of “Active Directory Users and Computers”, right click on Users->New->User
- Add First Name, Last Name and Logon Name and click Next
- Set the Password and select “Password Never Expires” then click Next
- Click Next and then click Finish.
- Follow the same steps and create another user.ups
ADD Users TO GROUPS
We have groups and users added, now we will assign users to the groups
- On the same window of “Active Directory Users and Computers”, you will see users and groups which you have created on the right side.
- Right click on a user (in this example “bob johnson”, Select “Properties”)
- Select the “Member Of” tab on the top, click on Add, a pop-up window will open
- Enter group name as “germain_apm_admin” and hit enter, you will see this group added in the “Member Of” list of the user
Click “Apply” and then “Ok”
Follow the same steps to add second user which you have created and add it to “germain_apm_user” group.
To change the amount of memory allocated to the Tomcat server, adjust the environment variables (setenv.sh or setenv.bat) under CATALINA_HOME/bin:
Adjust the configuration files under /opt/tomcat8/conf as follows:
Update the JDBC connection information to match your configuration and datamart connection. Also, adjust the ActiveMQ broker URL if running on a different host than the Tomcat server.
Update the email settings to match your organization's SMTP settings.
Update the indexer settings to target the URL of your Solr installation.
To run the Tomcat server from the command line, execute the following command:
Similarly, to stop the Tomcat server from the command line, execute the following command: